Monday, September 23, 2013

The Luddites were skilled weavers, mechanics, or other artisans that were protesting factories. They protested because of the factories not paying proper wages, the conditions of factories, and the misuse of technology.  In the Mock primary source letter, Lord Byron talks about how the Luddites has a good reason to protest. For example during some years they didn't even make enough money for the cost of adequate food. 



Dear Cousin, 
I am no longer as selectively needed as the skilled weaver I am. Every since industrialization has started to take over i have been forced to work in the terrible factories. There is a group of people called the Luddites that protest the factories by attacking machines and factories. I am for what they are doing. They are people who have different skills, some are weavers, mechanics, or artisans. The Luddites are playful protesters, some of them cross dress when they protest.  On a different note, I have been seriously impacted by industrialization  I have to leave the nice comfort of my home to work in a disgusting factory. I just man the machines, unlike like at my home where you have to be skilled in what I did. I had no choice other than go to the factory in work since my job at my house was useless because of the factories. I just can't stand working in this factory.  Since these factories are so bad I am for what the Luddites are doing. They have a good thought behind what they are doing. It is they question technology and if it is really necessary or not. I have recently bee thinking about joining the Luddites because I strongly agree with what they are doing. I thought to myself, would I want to just stand around and watch what they are doing or should I get into the action and not let this technology ruin my enjoyment of weaving and my health. I look forward to hear back from you.

                                                              Sincerely,
                                                                  Jason Ewing




No comments:

Post a Comment