Tuesday, February 18, 2014

EdCafe Day

This past week in class we did an activity called an EdCafe. With a partner we discussed slavery based on different narratives and sources. Together as a partnership we created questions which we would ask the attendees of our EdCafe based on an aspect of slavery. Once all the partnerships in class choose when and where they would like to hold their EdCafe, we could pick which EdCafe interested us and attend it. I really liked how each EdCafe wasn't very big unlike a socratic seminar which I dislike because there are too many people.  I also liked how the EdCafe was independent for the group presented. The group leading it had the job of keeping the group on track and keeping the session moving by not getting tied up on a single question. To make the EdCafe better next time I think that the groups should have a wider range of topics. The two EdCafe sessions I attended and the one I presented all had similar questions so it was repetitive at times.

When I presented it went well. The other students attending had very detailed answers to our questions which sparked up good discussions. With the questions we had quotes from the Solomon Northup Slave Narrative which added to the answers. To improve next time I would include more visuals since we only had a minimal amount. The visuals would help the attendees to understand the questions more or add to the answer.

I think that I was a good attendee to the sessions I attended. I contributed the best I could to the questions asked by the presenters. What helped me was my group had similar questions to the questions that were asked by the presenters. This was also not beneficial because at times I wasn’t expanding my knowledge of slavery because of the similar questions. My notes are a good representation of what I learned because on the questions that were alike I have ample notes and good notes on the topics that only came up once.

No comments:

Post a Comment